BUFC B’s vs Killarney

Round 5 saw us away to Killarney Vale and despite another wet week, EDSAAC Oval was thankfully in pretty good shape for the game. Kilarney started the game strongly and we found ourselves having to defend for long periods, so it was a little against the run of play when Adam was released with a great through ball and put one on one with their keeper, which he finished off with a composed finish.

The goal seemed to rock our opponents and with a little more time and space to work with, we were able to compete more effectively, thus relieving some of the pressure on our defence. This in turn led to some good midfield interplay releasing Ade on the right of their 18-yard area from where he picked out Gregor on the opposite side of the box with a peach of a cross. Gregor duly returned the compliment of a great ball with a volleyed finish into the bottom right corner, to add to his growing catalogue of quality finishes. The game remained an even contest for the remainder of the first half but we were able to maintain our 2-0 lead until the half time break.

Despite discussing that we needed to improve in a number of areas in the second half, Kilarney started the second stanza in determined mood and were awarded a penalty within 5 minutes of the restart. Despite Geoff getting a hand to the resulting strike, it unfortunately still had enough power to make it across the line. Kilarney now had their tails up and drew level just 5 minutes later when a floated cross from the left our 18 yard box was tapped home at the far post. Seeing our hard-earned lead evaporate so easily seemed to knock our confidence for six and when Kilarney took the lead with a fierce 25-metre drive into the top corner, it seemed that it wasn’t going to be our day. That feeling was only reinforced when Neal had his 20-metre effort brilliantly tipped over the bar by the Kilarney keeper and when Gregor was dismissed for a second yellow card with 10 minutes remaining, a difficult ask became insurmountable, with Kilarney running out deserved winners 3-2.

Man of the match was Adam, who worked hard all game up front, despite a lack of any real service.

Final Score: Barnstoneworth 2 – 3 Killarney

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *