BUFC C’s vs Gosford

The C’s started their 2010 campaign hosting Gosford at Duffy’s Oval on a sunny and very warm day. Having already played and lost 5-1 to our opponents in our last preseason game, we were expecting a tough encounter, especially with only 12 players available at kick-off.

We started very brightly and it was pretty much all one way traffic with the Barny Army virtually pitching camp in the Gosford half and limiting them to the occasional long-ball counter attack.

Ed was a real handful up front and could have had a hat-trick inside 15 minutes but unfortunately for him and us he found the Gosford keeper in inspired form and we just couldn’t find a way past for the opener. A couple more good chances to ED plus John and Sean went unrewarded and when Darrell scrambled a speculative Gosford shot just round the post, we were beginning to wonder it if was going to be one of those days! On the half hour however, Ed was held back in their area and the referee had no hesitation in awarding us our first penalty of the season, which Ed took great delight indespatching into the bottom corner for 1-0 Barnstoneworth.

Despite continuing to apply good pressure, we began to tire and lose our shape slightly and just before half-time, a Gosford cross-shot from the right went over Darrell to level the scores. We were all somewhat disappointed to be level at the break, when we could easily have been four or even five up but that’s football sometimes eh?

The second half continued in the same vein and our sustained pressure was rightly rewarded on 10 minutes, when a peach of a corner was pushed into the roof of his own net by Gosford’s keeper. A great strike from Gazza (unless of course he was actually aiming for the penalty spot as instructed?), which deservedly restored our lead. Further chances were fewer and farther between as the heat sapped everyone’s energy and both teams looked to keep things tight at the back. In truth though, Gosford never really looked like getting back into the game and it was no real surprise when the final whistle blew with the score still 2-1.

So a solid and well-deserved win against tough opponents on a very hot opening day of the season. Man of the match deservedly went to John Rymil, who put in a hell of a shift chasing down the opposition‘s back line, as well as doing his share of defending in his own half.

Roll on Woy Woy next game!

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *