Barnstoneworth B South vs Kariong Match Report

A look at results and positioning on the ladder suggested we would find ourselves up against an improved Kariong side from the one we played last year. Before the match Kariong were sitting in 3rd spot, one point above us although with this being the replay of round 4, it was the first time we had come up against them with 3rd position being the prize for whichever team won.

The match kicked off and pretty quickly looked like being a total disaster as we somehow found ourselves 0-3 down after around 20 mins. I’m still not totally sure how this happened, but a combination of poor communication, bad defending and a few too many free kicks being given away in goal scoring positions, we found ourselves in a position we had not been for a good couple of years.

The next 20 minutes was a fair bit more like what we were expecting. We settled down and started to build our own game, holding possession and creating some chances. The talk improved and some positive signs were starting to appear especially when James Mitchell grabbed one back for us just before halftime.

1-3 down at the break. Our team talk focused on remaining patient and calm – the opportunities were starting to come, keep the talk positive!! We picked up where we left off in the second period and chances, some pretty darn good, started to flow. It took a little while before we were able to capitalise and grab another one back which happened when Dan went forward from centre half for a corner. Dan, using his arms in a “get the fuck out of my way” manner with one, two, three (or even four) Kariong defenders managed to eventually get his forehead to the ball and grab his first for the season. 2-3 now and we were firmly back in the hunt!!

Kariong were seething. We were dominating them in a football sense and the rub of the green with decisions were seemingly starting to fall our way. This created a fair bit of niggle and banter between the teams. As that increased, so did our dominance of the game. Kariong spent more time falling over, crying at the ref and bitching with each other than they did playing smart football. They were still a goal up but it was playing directly into our hands.

We created more and more opportunities and eventually it was a “case of Boags premium” when Rod equalised after a run down the right hand side and a very tidy finish across the keeper saw the ball nestle in the back of the net: 3-3!! In the final few minutes we again created chances and when the ref blew full time we were probably unlucky not to be ahead after dominating all but 15 minutes of the match. Next up: Same again….

This was one we desperately wanted to win for our keeper Reido and his little mate Casper Ellis. While we are all disappointed not to get a better result for them, it’s at least fitting that we showed some fight and determination – something young Casper continues to inspire in us all.

Result: 3-3
Player of the year: Dan (2nd: Rod, 3rd: Ant)
Goals: Jimmy M, Dan, Rod

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *